To celebrate the launch of Homeserve new online magazine Ketchup, we were asked to make a recipe using Ketchup! We love spicy food in this house and these juicy, tasty and spicy Korean chicken wings hit the spot. Make them for the weekend, a hump day cheer up or just because you have too much kitchen towel in the house!
Recipe: Korean Fried Chicken with Ketchup
- 800 grams chicken wings
- 1 piece fresh ginger minced
- 3 dessert spoons Potato Flour
- 2 dessert spoons Rice Flour
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 3 dessert spoons Tomato Ketchup
- 1 dessert spoon of Chilli Paste
- 3 dessert spoons of Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 dessert spoons Honey
- Season your chicken wings with salt and pepper then add the minced ginger, mix thoroughly and leave to marinade for about 1 hour.
- While the chicken is marinating you can make the sauce.
- Put a saucepan on a medium heat with a little oil then fry the garlic for about 10-20 seconds, be careful not to let the garlic burn as it will taste bitter.
- Now add the ketchup, the chilli paste, rice wine vinegar and honey.
- Simmer for a few minutes so the flavours combine, lastly add salt and pepper to taste.
- Leave to one side until ready to serve.
- Now fry the chicken.
- Place a deep sided frying pan or deep fat fryer on to a medium heat.
- Now pour the rice and potato flours over the marinated chicken and mix thoroughly, season with a little salt and pepper.
- Shake off the excess then place the coated chicken into the fat, you want a sizzle but not too vigorous. All you want to do at this stage is cook the chicken not colour and crisp the batter, that will come from the second frying so they should only need about 6-8 minutes. After about 8 minutes remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. At this stage you can leave them in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready for the final frying simply crank up the pan or fryer to maximum and when hot enough drop the chicken pieces in and fry until nicely golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oil and again drain on kitchen paper.
- Now take the sauce you prepared earlier and put back on the heat to warm through, add a little water to loosen it a little.
- Once warmed pour over the fried chicken and using a large spoon mix so the sauce coats the chicken completely, then serve.