We were asked by Natvia to try out their alternative to sugar and sweeteners and I thought a good test would be to use it in some Seville Orange Curd as it's really sour and we like a challenge!
What is Natvia
Natvia is an alternative to artificial sweeteners and sugar. It is made from a blend of Stevia and Erythritol. You have probably read about Stevia already. Erythritol is Erythritol is 60–70% as sweet as sucrose but lacks the calories. So is an alternative to sugar. The taste is different to artificial sweeteners as there is no aftertaste.
Using Natvia in place of sugar is easy. You simply replace Natvia where you would use sugar. 1tsp sugar = 1tsp Natvia. We found the taste to be very sweet. So for things like tea or coffee would probably half the amount.
Seville Orange Curd
I'd made Seville Orange Marmalade and still had a kilo of oranges left. I couldn't face more marmalade so decided to give Natvia a go with the curd. Would it tame the tart Seville Orange?
This recipe is simple and took around 30 mins to make. The taste is completely different to any shop bought curd. Use "normal' oranges for a sweeter tasting curd. I liked the tart taste with this curd going well with natural yoghurt for a wake up breakfast. The Natvia worked really well and dissolved quickly into the mix.
Recipe: Sugar Free Seville Orange Curd with Natvia
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 400 g Natvia
- 1 kg Seville Oranges
- 4 eggs
- Juice the oranges (no need to zest as Sevilles' pack a punch!
- Add the butter, sugar and juice to a saucepan.
- Heat gently, stirring, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Add the mixture to your bowl or basin, and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- While it is cooling, beat the eggs.
- Add the beaten eggs to the mixture, and mix well.
- Place the bowl on top of a saucepan of water.
- Simmer the water gently, stirring the contents of the bowl.
- When the curd covers the back of a wooden spoon, place aside.
- Sterilise your jars.
- Fill them with hot orange curd and leave to cool.
Disclaimer: We received two tubs of Natvia to test out. This did not affect our thoughts. Honest, really!