This is Japan on a plate for me. Creamy Kewpie mayo, fishy bonito flakes and okonomiyaki sauce - full of umami flavours.
Okonomiyaki means ‘grilled as you like it’, and is made from seasoned flour, cabbage, and whatever you have in the fridge. An easy and quick meal to make.
Our Japanese friends showed us how it is made.
The flour and egg is used to bind the ingredients, not a pancake like gloop.
Cooking away on the grill.
Press down and flip when brown.
Cover with mayo and okonomiyaki sauce. HP/Brown sauce can be used.
Recipe: Okonomiyaki aka Japanese Pizza
- 100 g okonomiyaki flour
- 100 ml water
- 1 egg
- ¼ cabbage finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon okonomiyaki sauce
- dried bonito flakes
- meat / seafood
- Mix 100g okonomiyaki flour and 100ml water together and set aside.
- Add cabbage, spring onion and carrot to batter mix.
- Add your chosen fillings.
- Add egg and mix the ingredients together.
- Heat up a frying pan with a little oil.
- Pour mixture into a round pancake shape in the centre of the pan.
- If using meat, start cooking your meat strips separate from the pancake.
- Once the underside of the pancake is brown in colour, add the cooked meat to the top and flip over to finish cooking.
- Press down on mixture with a spatula to make it an even thickness.
- When both sides of the okonomiyaki are golden brown, flip on to a plate and cut into slices like a pizza.
- Smother with okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise, sprinkle with bonito flakes, and eat!