British Food Inspired Sushi
We love our sushi and when we saw that Yutaka had developed some British/Japanese sushi we had to have a look.
They have created six British sushi recipes including Deep-fried Haggis Onigiri.
The others are:
British Breakfast Maki Roll
Fish & Chip Nigiri
Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding Roll
Cream Tea Sushi Scone
Apple Crumble & Custard Roll
Each of the six recipes is a fusion of British and Japanese cuisine and features locally sourced British ingredients.
Here we have their recipe for British Breakfast Maki Roll
- 9 Quails Eggs
- 125 g Yutaka Sushi Rice
- 175 ml Water
- 2 sheets Yutaka Nori
- 10 slices Streaky Bacon
- 1 tbs Yutaka Japanese Rice Vinegar
- 1 Bamboo Rolling Mat
- Boil quails eggs for 2 mins - remove from heat, drain and cover with cold water.
- Peel and leave to one side.
- Prepare sushi rice following instructions on the pack.
- Once cooked, leave to one side for 30 mins
- Add rice vinegar and mix with wooden spoon.
- Fry bacon until crispy, drain on kitchen roll and set aside to cool.
- Put Nori sheet on rolling mat shiny side down.
- Spread rice thinly on nori sheet, avoiding the edges.
- Place 2 or more slices of cooked bacon lengthways, add layer of eggs, and top with 2 or more slices of bacon.
- Begin rolling the sushi roll by putting fingertips of both hands on top of sushi ingredients to hold in place while keeping thumbs on the back of the bamboo rolling mat nearest you.
- Push the mat forward until it surrounds the sushi roll and the top and bottom edges of the nori meet.
- Roll the sushi mat in a circle around the ingredients.
- The mat can be used to shape your sushi into a long, round roll, but don't press too hard.
- Place on cutting board.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice into 8 equal rolls.
- Try to cut in the middle of each egg so everyone gets a half.
- Serve with tea, toast and butter.
Show Comments (0)