From the Lorraine region of France comes the Madeleine, a delicate small sponge cake with a dainty shell shape. Lighter than a sponge cake, this small cake is ideal for an afternoon treat.
Recipe: Rose, honey and matcha madeleines
- 2 eggs
- 120 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g butter melted
- 1 ½ tsp honey
- 60 g caster sugar
- Place madeleine moulds into fridge to chill.
- Heat the milk, rosewater, vanilla and honey together gently until mixed together.
- Add eggs and sugar to a bowl and whisk together until they are frothy.
- Melt the butter and let cool.
- Add the milk mixture to the egg and sugar mix. Whisk in flour and baking powder then add cooled butter as well as the matcha powder.
- Let the mixture rest for half an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/360°F/Gas 6
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.