Once you taste this light, fluffy and buttery cake you’ll be convinced it wasnt home made. Dan Lepard’s Lemon Butter Cake is perfect for an afternoon treat.
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 125g condensed milk
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks, plus 1 white
- 125ml lemon juice, strained
- Zest of three large lemons
- 275g superfine self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 100g icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 170C/335F/gas mark 3-4.
- Line the bottom and sides of an 8 1/2 inch or 22cm cake tin twith nonstick baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the melted butter, condensed milk, 125g of the caster sugar, egg yolks, 100ml of the lemon juice (saving the other 25ml in a cup) and two-thirds of the zest until smooth and the sugar dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white with the remaining 25g of sugar to a soft meringue.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, beat this into the lemon mixture until smooth, then fold through the meringue quickly and evenly.
- Tip the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- When cool, beat the remaining lemon zest with the icing sugar and the reserved 25ml lemon juice (adding a bit of water to soften it if necessary), and slather this over the top of the cooled cake.