NKD Pizza now opens in Edinburgh’s Morningside
US and Dubai pizza brand NKD (as in ‘naked’) Pizza have opened their first European takeaway in the Morningside area of Edinburgh this week.
I got a sneak peek last week to find out more about their unique selling point (the dough), see the full pizza range and most importantly, give them a taste (not forgetting the chicken wings which are also delicious!). Oh, the hardship!
Ancestral blend® dough
The dough is unlike any other that we’re aware of, it’s made using a blend of 10 grains comprising oats, brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, teff (the next big supergrain?), spelt, tapioca and two kinds of wheat, phew! So this makes the pizzas healthier and therefore more guilt-free than average. Not only that but all the pizzas bar one can be made gluten-free as well.
There are six signature pizzas:
- Margherita (v) – with fresh basil hidden beneath the cheese
- Mediterranean (v) – veggie pizza with surprise inclusion of artichoke and a healthy drizzle of pesto. Also, the olives are from Kalamata.
- Pepperoni – really tasty and plentiful meaty slices
- Hawaiian – love it or hate it!
- Omnivore – mozzarella, pepperoni, salsiccia sausage, smoked bacon, peppers, mushroom and kalamata olives
- Smokehouse – with a barbecue sauce base, smoked bacon and chicken
- Calabria (hot) – with lots of spicy ‘nduja and a punchy kick from the sweet pepper pearls
Two chef’s specials:
- Sweet heat (veggie and hot) – with that burst of flavour from the sweet pepper pearls
- Tri-colore (hot) – with a flavoursome nduja
Of course you can also make your own if none of these take your fancy. There are also sides such as pesto focaccia, barbecue chicken wings and sesame sriracha chicken wings – these were my favourite, not overly spicy so you get a gentle heat and I just love the taste of toasted sesame seeds.
I really enjoyed the pizzas and genuinely couldn’t tell that this was a healthier pizza base than normal…so I went back to have another two pizzas after they officially opened on Monday to find they were doing a 2 for £10 deal on medium pizzas so if you’re quick the offer might still be on!
Pizza was taken back through to Glasgow and reheated, passing the reheat test! Be warned that the Calabria is very hot! 🔥
Pizza prices range from £10.99 – £18.99 depending on size and contents. The focaccia is £4.99 and chicken wings are £5.99. There are other sides and drinks available too, Click for the NKD Pizza menu.
Plans are already afoot for further units across Scotland (watch this space)!
NKD Pizza Scotland, 6-8 Morningside Drive, Edinburgh, EH10 5LY
Show Comments (0)