Vegan Chocolate and Avocado Cake
This brownie like cake will go well with coffee, hot chocolate and for school fairs etc. It is converted from a US recipe so amounts such as water needed to bond the mixture may need amending.
- 375g flour
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 60ml vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
- 500ml water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 170 degrees C/gas mark 4.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch rounds. Put aside.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients except the sugar. Set that aside too.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl, including the mashed avocado.
- Add sugar into the wet mix and stir.
- Mix the wet with the dry, and beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased cake tins.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool.
- Add icing when cool.
The icing is made as follows:-
2 small to medium, very ripe avocados
2 teaspoons lemon juice
450g icing sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peel and remove the avocado meat, ensuring no brown spots.
Place the avocado meat into the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment.
Add lemon juice and whisk the avocado on medium speed, until slightly lightened in color and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the icing sugar a little at a time and beat.
Add vanilla extract until combined.
This will store OK in the fridge, it won’t turn brown!
Show Comments (0)