Winter time means comfort food to me but it doesn't have to be all carbs and cakes. We were asked by Donald Russell to try out their beef rib trim recipe and see how cheaper cuts can taste good and also be easy to cook.
- 1 kg Beef Rib Trim
- 4-5 teaspoon Flour
- 3-4 teaspoon Olive oil
- 100g smoked Streaky bacon (cut into 1cm strips)
- 2 cloves Garlic (chopped)
- 200g baby Shallots or Onions
- 200g Button Mushrooms
- 400ml Red burgundy wine
- 200ml strong Beef stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 20g Butter (diced)
- 2 sprigs Parsley (finely chopped)
- Pinch of salt & ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Allow the meat to come to room temperature, pat dry with kitchen paper, coat lightly in the flour and tap off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof casserole dish and sear meat on all sides, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan add bacon, garlic, shallots/onions and mushrooms, braise for 6-8 minutes on a medium heat then add wine, stock, bay leaves and the seared meat.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1½ - 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Test by using a fork, when the meat is ready the fork should cut through the meat with minimum effort.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, take off the lid and if necessary reduce the sauce gently on the hob to a smooth consistency.
- To serve, season to taste with salt & pepper and dot with the diced butter, finish with a sprinkle of parsley.
- Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.
The Beef Rib Trim arrived three days after ordering in a secure box, kept frozen with dry ice packets to keep the items fresh. The recipe is easy to follow, especially with the accompanying youtube video.
We have cooked this twice now, once in a casserole dish in the oven and once using our slow cooker. Both ways are easy to prepare and cook but the result is still the same: a good hearty, healthy protein-rich stew; even Mr Foodie has had a go at cooking it!
Food and Drink Glasgow readers can get a 10% discount on orders over £30 by using the code FDG1501 at www.donaldrussell.com
We received a portion of Beef Rib Trim from Donald Russell to cook and evaluate.