Not Cross Buns
Second batch of the day meant not cross buns as our crosses where a bit useless.
Instead of fruit and cinnamon, we went for cardamom and orange as flavouring. Using some Mckays orange marmalade as a flavouring saved adding extra sugar to the mix.
- 450g strong white flour
- 1 X 7g sachets easy-blend yeast
- 3 tbsp McKays orange marmalade melted
- 200ml warm milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 50g unsalted butter, melted.
- 1tbsp whole cardamom crushed
- 1tbsp marmalade melted
- Put the flour and yeast a large mixing bowl with crushed cardamom.
- Mix well.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the warm milk, the beaten egg and the melted butter.
- Mix everything together to form a dough
- Knead in the bowl or on a floured surface until the dough becomes smooth and springy.
- Transfer to a clean, lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with a clean, damp tea towel.
- Leave in a warm place to rise until roughly doubled in size.
- Tip the risen dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead for a few secs, then divide into 12 even portions
- Shape and place on a baking sheet.
- Cover with the damp tea towel again and leave in a warm place to prove until almost doubled in size again.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until the buns are golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. While still warm, melt the marmalade, then brush over the buns.
Show Comments (0)