Something to mull over this Christmas
There's gin galore in the shops just now so here's a recipe for some mulled gin instead of the usual mulled wine. With apple and honey, it could almost be medicinal! Add cloves for that extra Christmas zing (Mrs Foodie isn't a big fan of them so we missed them out).
400ml apple juice
½ lemon, sliced
1 bay leaf
2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1 small cinnamon stick
½ teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed
1 teaspoon honey
For the garnish
4 bay leaves
2 lemon slices, halved
Divide the gin between four small heatproof glasses.
Add the apple juice into a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
Heat gently until simmering.
Strain into a jug.
Pour the mulled juice into the glasses with the gin.
Stir and add garnish
Recipe: Mulled Gin
- 100 ml gin
- 400 ml apple juice
- ½ lemon sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cardamom pods lightly crushed
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- For the garnish
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 lemon slices halved
- Divide the gin between four small heatproof glasses.
- Add the apple juice into a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat gently until simmering.
- Strain into a jug.
- Pour the mulled juice into the glasses with the gin.
- Stir and add garnish
Looking for something a little more traditional? Try some Egg Nog