Comforting home-made cake
Being completely useless I forgot about a punnet worth of plums which we had in our fruit bowl – hidden under decorations at Halloween, they weren’t looking their best skin-wise but good enough to still cook with and as it’s the weekend this called for CAKE!
- 3 eggs
- 170g icing / powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 170g plain flour
- 3g baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 170g unsalted butter
- zest of 2 large lemons
- Punnet of Plums (or any berries, enough to fill your cake the way you like it)
- Preheat oven to 170˚C. Grease a loaf tin with butter.
- Whisk eggs, sifted icing sugar and vanilla together in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Place your butter in a small saucepan. Add the zest of the lemons and place on a low heat to melt.
- Add the butter and egg mix to your flour bowl and whisk.
- Pour batter into your loaf tin.
- Place berries throughout the mix.
- Pour into your prepared loaf tin and bake in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes depending on your oven. The cake should be golden brown and ‘just’ done, with your knife or cake tester not coming out completely clean. It’s a genuine crime to over bake this cake. It will loose it’s glorious moreish-ness! (If that’s even a word!)
Show Comments (0)