THE best mac n cheese you'll ever taste!
Pasta and cheese is not exactly rocket science but you'd be surprised at the amount of bad mac 'n' cheese I've had. It is simple to make, but also simple to get wrong. Poor quality cheese or not enough cheese to even having too much sauce, so that the pasta is swimming in the bowl, can ruin a macaroni moment. But worry no more with this, my favourite mac 'n' Cheese recipe! It has an added secret ingredient to up the umami stakes: chicken bouillon!
With three cheeses this isn't diet-friendly, if you want great macaroni and cheese then the diet should go on hold for now (I'll see what I can do on that for a future recipe though).
Look at that cheese 👇👇👇. If that doesn't make you want a bowl of this, then there's no hope left for you!
Crunchy and cheesy with a gooey inside, this mac 'n' cheese will surely cheer you up. We made enough for having people over for dinner but you can split it into smaller portions and place in Tupperware in the fridge for a few days. You can then microwave it, or for better results heat it in a pot on the hob, stirring occasionally, until it looks ready.
Recipe: Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mac And Cheese
- 500 g dry weight pasta
- CRISPY TOPPING:
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 35 g Panko breadcrumbs
- 30 g butter
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 30 gflour
- 950 ml milk divided add milk until sauce thickens to your liking
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder or a vegetable stock powder
- 80 g grated cheddar cheese
- 80 g grated parmesan cheese divided
- 170 g mozzarella cheese
- Boil pasta until al dente.
- Drain and rinse well with cold water.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven grill to 190°C | 375°F.
- FOR CRISPY TOPPING:
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, oven proof pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in the Panko breadcrumbs.
- Stir to coat and cook until golden browned.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Set aside.
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- Melt the butter in the same pan.
- Add the garlic and sauté until you smell the garlic.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Stir for at least 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat down to low and gradually whisk in milk in small amounts until the sauce thickens to your liking.
- In a separate jug, combine the corn flour and remaining milk.
- Whisk until lump free and stir through the white sauce to thicken completely.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the bouillon powder.
- Remove from heat and add in the cheddar, ¾ of parmesan cheese, and the mozzarella slices. Stir through until all of the cheese has melted.
- Toss the pasta through the sauce until completely coated.
- Top with the Panko and the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Grill in oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until bubbling.
Come say hello