Homemade Christmas Gift or Treat
This thick sauce will make an ideal gift for a foodie this Christmas or keep it for yourself for adding to cakes, puddings and pancakes or just with a spoon from the jar!
Jars will keep for around two week in the fridge, if you can resist!
You can reheat the salted caramel, heat as you would melt chocolate, in a bowl or pot that fits over a pan of simmering water. This helps the sauce not burn.
- 400 g white granulated sugar
- 75 g butter160ml water
- 250 ml single cream
- 1 tbsp good sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add sugar to a heavy bottomed shallow pan then add water.
- Melt the sugar/water over a medium to high heat bringing the mixture to a boil.
- Shake the pan (don't stir) to keep the contents mixed.
- Take off the heat when reaching an amber colour.
- Add the butter and whisk.
- Then add the cream and salt, and whisk.
- Decant the sauce to a waiting cold container (not plastic), and allow it to cool down
Add a couple of teaspoons of salted caramel sauce into warm milk. Add a shot of espresso to make a salted caramel latte.