It's National Tomato Week and it's sunny! So perfect weather for some chilled tomato soup. This recipe is from Andrew Fairlie who made some and gave us all a taste at the launch of Scotty Brand Scottish tomatoes earlier this year. Click here to read about our visit.
I'm not a big fan of chilled soups, or I've just had some bad gazpacho on holiday, this however was delicious. I'm sure you could use it as a base for a pasta sauce as well.
Recipe: Andrew Fairlie Chilled tomato soup
- Serves 40
- 4 kg Scotty Brand tomatoes cut into quarters
- 3 red peppers sliced
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 4 sticks celery sliced
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 sprig thyme leaves
- 3 sticks lemongrass bruised
- 1 cucumber peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 1 packet basil
- 300 ml. olive oil
- 3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- tabasco sauce
- Heat half the olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the sliced peppers, onion, celery, cucumber and garlic.
- Season with salt & cook over a medium heat until soft.
- Add the herbs, lemongrass and half of the tomatoes.
- Continue to cook until all the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Pass the remaining raw tomatoes through a potato ricer into a bowl.