We were asked by Lavazza coffee to help promote their range of online recipes to show that there is more to do with coffee than just drink it. Experiment with delicious Italian coffee to create whatever takes your fancy. Be it drinks, cocktails, cakes to savoury dishes.
We decided on trying something savory and made this Beef Chilli in our slow cooker. You don’t need to have a crock pot to make this, it can be cooked on a stove top as well.
Don’t worry about adding too much coffee when cooking, it all adds to the flavour. We used the Lavazza Anniversary blend, 100% Brazilian Arabica coffee delicate hints of chocolate and caramel which worked well with the beef and chilli.
Receipe: Lavazza Coffee Beef
- 2 kg beef brisket trimmed and sliced into 2.5cm pieces
- 500 ml hot coffee made with Lavazza coffee
- 2 tablespoons muscovado sugar
- 3 large dried chillies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and sliced
- 4 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 peppers whatever colours you like
- 2 x 400 g tins of kidney beans
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make up your coffee
- Soak dried chillis in to re-hydrate.
- Add oil, cumin, paprika, oregano, bay leaves and onion to a large pan on a low heat.
- Fry until onions have softened.
- Chop the re-hydrated chilis and add to the onion mix.
- Add garlic to the mix
- Place the mix into your slow cooker.
- Add tinned tomatoes to slow cooker.
- Add coffee to slow cooker.
- Add sugar to slow cooker.
- Fry the pieces of beef until lightly brown and add to slow cooker.
- Cook for 3 hours on low.
- Check that the meat is tender.
- Add tinned kidney beans to slow cooker.
- Add sliced peppers to slow cooker.
- Leave to cook for 1 hour.
- Check that the ingredients are fully cooked.
- Serve alongside flatbread or rice.