What not to do in NYC
Save yourself some money and slow down to experience New York.
- Don’t take a taxi – use the subway it’s easy to navigate (use the free app!) and reaches most areas and you won’t get stuck in crosstown traffic.
- Don’t stay in Manhattan – get out to the boroughs, Brooklyn has some great areas such as Greenpoint and Williamsburg. Cheaper accommodation and experience the boroughs.
- Don’t splash out on a Cronut – go local and save money. Peter Pan doughnuts in Greenpoint are just over $1 each.
- Don’t spend a fortune going up the rock – visit Brooklyn Bridge Park and relax with a view of Manhattan.
- Don’t spend all your time in Times Square – de-stress with a stroll along the high line.
- Don’t eat the sidewalk dirty dogs – head to one of the “Papaya” sit-in/takeaways (Gray’s Papaya, Papaya King, Papaya Dog) for a cheap and tasty dog.
- Don’t spend all day on the tour buses – walk, look up and explore.
- Don’t sit with the tourists at the Oyster Bar at Grand Central – get with the locals in Tracks at Penn Station.
- Don’t forget happy hour in Bars – save $ with special priced beers.
- Don’t shop on Broadway – head to the Lower East Side for smaller boutiques and avoid the national and international chains.