Grouse with summer vegetables recipe from Gleneagles
Celebrate the Glorious twelfth with this recipe from Head Chef Jonathan Wright of the Strathearn restaurant at Gleneagles.
- Serves 4
- 2 Young Scottish grouse
- Salt and pepper
- Scottish rapeseed oil
- 100ml Single cream
- 1 Clove garlic
- 5g Rosemary
- 5g Thyme
- 200g Onion
- 140g Carrot
- 100g Celery
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 100g Parsnip
- 2 Lt Game / brown chicken stock
- 100g Minced chicken
- 4 Egg whites
- 60g Ruby, golden beetroot
- 60g Baby new season carrots
- 2 ea Baby purple cauliflowers
- 4 ea Flowering courgettes
- 8ea Viola flowers
- Crimson radish
- Picked popcorn shoots (Alternative shoots to taste)
- 60g Scottish chanterelles
- 30g Butter
- • With a sharp knife remove the legs and the breasts of grouse and trim up neatly.
- • In a stainless steel bowl place the cream, garlic clove, thyme and rosemary
- • Season the marinade with salt and freshly ground pepper and place the breasts into the marinade. Cover and marinade in a refrigerator for a minimum of 24 hours.
- • In a stainless steel sauce pan place the cold game / brown chicken stock.
- • Roughly chop the grouse carcasses, legs and place into a bowl and add salt, freshly grounds pepper. Though a mincer or food processor roughly cut the vegetables and add to the stock along with the minced chicken meat and egg whites and season well.
- • Gently bring to the boil and then simmer; this will clarify the stock leaving a clear intense flavoursome consommé. Cook slowly for 1 hour and then pass through some fine muslin or sieve and use as and when needed.
- • Remove the grouse breasts from the marinade and clean off the creamy marinade and their skin season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- • In a Teflon pan pour a little rapeseed oil, knob of butter into the pan and cook the grouse breasts to taste, ensuring once you have cooked them to your personal taste you give them two minutes rest.
- • Ensure the consommé is seasoned to your taste and is hot.
- • In a saucepan place some butter and reheat the cooked vegetable, mushrooms again season to taste and then place onto to a kitchen towel and remove any excess butter. You can enhance the vegetables by a pinch of sugar.
- • Place the vegetables into a serving bowl and lay the neat, golden brown grouse breast on top. You can if you wish cut the breasts into medallions to show the cooking degree that you have chosen, pink is best.
- • Pour the consommé into the bowl and garnish with the slivers of crimson radish and viola flowers.
- • Serve immediately.
Show Comments (0)