It’s Stir up Sunday so time to make your Christmas pudding and give it time for a good boozy feed before Christmas Day.
Recipe: Christmas Pudding
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 225g vegetarian suet
- 340g sultanas
- 340g raisins
- 225g currants
- 110g candied peel, chopped
- 110 plain flour
- 110g breadcrumbs
- 55g flaked almonds
- Zest of one lemon
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 150ml brandy or rum
- 2x1.2 litre/2 pint pudding basins.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the eggs and brandy (or rim) and give it a good mix.
- Spoon the mix into basins.
- Put a circle of baking parchment and foil over the top of each basin.
- Put the basins in a large pot of boiling water (with an inverted saucer).
- Add boiling water to come a third of the way up the bowl.
- Cover with pot lid.
- Cook for 5-6 hours, checking water level regularly.
- Replace baking parchment and foil.
- Store in a cool place.
- Top up each week with your fave tipple