316 total views, 0 views today
Today (9th April) is National Unicorn Day and what better way to celebrate Scotland’s national animal than to go unicorn spotting.will be unveiled one of the country’s leading art attractions this week.
The latest addition to Scotland’s haul of unicorns has just been unveiled within the 55-acre Crawick Multiverse artland in Dumfries & Galloway. The 7ft unicorn sculpture was designed and created by willow artist Woody Fox.
The unicorn has been Scotland’s favourite animal since the 14th century and was used in an early form of the Scottish coat of arms by William I in the late 1300s.
Place to ‘unicorn spot’ include:
- Outside the National War Museum at Edinburgh Castle,
- The Queen’s Gallery in the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh
- The fountain in the courtyard at Linlithgow Palace, West Lothian.
- Stirling Castle which is home to the beautiful Mystic Hunt of the Unicorn tapestry.
- The Mercat Cross in Dunfermline, Jedburgh, Melrose, Culross, Crail and Cupar, not to mention all of Scotland’s cities.
- The HM Frigate Unicorn in Dundee is Scotland’s only surviving example of a wooden warship and one of the six oldest ships in the world.
- The Fife town of Falkland takes a starring role in the hit TV series Outlander and right bang in its centre you’ll find a unicorn statue.
- On the Black Isle, you can visit the Stables in Cromarty a converted Georgian building which now houses a gallery and studios, as well as its very own unicorn. The magnificent life-size sculpture provides a magical welcome to visitors of all ages.
- In Dumfries & Galloway, Quests and Retreats offers dedicated Unicorn Quests exploring the landscapes and forests of the region in search for the elusive creature, which might just make a rare appearance.
- On May 27th, organisers of the Knockengorroch World Ceilidh Music Festival are aiming to break the world recordfor the highest number of ‘unicorns’ in one place.
To find out more about unicorn lore or for more magical ideas of where to go unicorn-spotting visit www.visitscotland.com/unicorn
To find our more about Crawick Multiverse artland in Dumfries and Galloway, visit www.crawickmultiverse.co.uk