325 total views, 1 views today
Help raise development funds for St Peter’s restoration
NVA, the company behind the re-development of the Gillespie Kidd and Coia-designed St Peter’s Seminary at Cardross, are working with the Glasgow Distillery Company (the people behind Makar Gin) to produce a limited edition gin that will raise funds to support the restoration of the woodland and Victorian walled garden at St Peter’s.
Inspired by the historic landscape of Kilmahew, the gin is infused with orange peel, bramble leaf and rosehip. These ingredients reflect the plants growing in the Kilmahew woods. Well, all except orange peel which is an acknowledgement of the work of John Fleming, who was the first gardener to oversee the estate’s walled garden when it was established in 1866. He installed glasshouses on the estate to enable the growth of fruits such as oranges.
Profits from the sale of Kilmahew Gin will be donated to the St Peter’s restoration project which is aimed at making the old seminary at Cardross a visitor attraction and cultural resource centre.
St Peter’s seminary opened in 1966 and was in operation until 1980, when it closed due to changes in teaching methods decreed by the Second Vatican Council. The building became a drug rehab centre then it was abandoned completely and left to the elements. Find out more about the history of the building here or here.
Only 1,000 bottles are available in this limited edition batch. Click here to order. £40 including p&p UK delivery only.
Find below some images from Kilmahew gardens from many years ago before the start of the restoration and development works by NVA.